Between the 1940’s and the 1980’s, asbestos was commonly used in building materials because of its heat resistance properties. However,... Read more →
Between the 1940’s and the 1980’s, asbestos was commonly used in building materials because of its heat resistance properties. However, this was before the health risks of asbestos were widely known. Today, asbestos is not used in building materials, but it can still be present if you have an older building. If you believe or have proof that asbestos is present in your home, you need to hire a professional asbestos removal company in Perth. There are many reasons why professionals need to be used instead of trying to do this yourself.
The Health Risks
Asbestos is a known human carcinogen which means that it has been proven to cause cancer. When you removal asbestos, the fibres that make up this mineral will become airborne. When this happens, you are at an increased risk of inhaling the fibres which will attach to the lungs where they will stay for life and cause health problems.
Professionals have training which ensures that they do not expose themselves to the health risks of working with asbestos. They will also know how to remove asbestos without increasing the fibres present in the air. This will not only keep your family safe, it will also keep your neighbours safe from the dangers of asbestos exposure.
A More Thorough Job
If you are capable of removing asbestos on your own, you should still look at hiring a professional service. The primary reason for this is that the service will be able to perform a more thorough job than you would be able to do on your own. A licensed professional will also be able to carry out a thorough assessment of your property to ensure that there is nothing left behind.
You may only know about one area where the asbestos is. However, a professional assessment may find asbestos in areas that you have not considered. It is better to have a professional remove every trace of asbestos than to save money and have asbestos left in your home.
While the removal of asbestos is important, the disposal is just as important. You cannot simply throw away asbestos because of the health risks that come with exposure. You will also not be able to take it to your local recycling centre either as they are not equipped to handle this material.
A professional will know how to correctly dispose of the asbestos that they have removed. Generally, they will have to take the asbestos to a waste treatment facility that is equipped to handle the material. Most of these centres will not allow private people to bring waste to them and you will need to have a professional license to enter.
There are many reasons why you should not try to remove asbestos from your home on your own. There are severe health risks that you could be exposing yourself to that professional will be better equipped to handle. You may also have a problem with disposing of the material once you have removed it from your home.